In this article we will cover the quick and east way to import or migrate your CS-Cart products into Volusion eCommerce system.
Importing CS-Cart products into Volusion
First, you will need to export all of your CS Cart products with all of the fields your product requires.
- extra images
- detail and thumbnail image paths
Map those products to Volusion products and import. It is assumed that you have already set up options/attributes and features in your new Volusion catalog so you can map the data in a one-to-one fashion.
Since every catalog is custom to a client’s particular need, there is no one-size-fits-all instruction for this step.
To make this easier, you really just create a new catalog and a few sample products in Volusion.
Next, you export your current catalog, with all features, options and attributes from CS-Cart.
Next, you export out your sample products and structure form Volusion.
Now you should have two CSV files. You just need to pull your data from the CS-Cart spreadsheet (csv) and copy it into the correct fields within your new data structure – the Volusion CSV.
- Be sure the import file has unique product IDs
- Smart double quotes should be replaced with with “” or " prior to import
- Some whitespace characters also cause errant character in the import
Finally, you attempt the import. Notes any failures or error messages you get. Often you have to adjust your formatting a few different times to get it right.
Importing images from CS-Cart to Volusion.
Uploading your Images.
- Find the location of images in CS Cart
- Export all of the CS Cart products (all fields in the products)
- The “Image URL” field in the export data contains the fully pathed image filenames
- Use a file transfer program to copy the directory of image files from the CS Cart server to a temporary directory on your local computer
- Upload product images to Volusion
- Use Thumbnail Generator to create thumbnail versions of the images
- Use FTP and upload the images to vspfiles/photos
These are the steps you take for a product and image migration from CS-Cart to Volusion. It is not always easy and often requires a lot of finesse with your data, especially as it pertains to product attributes and options.
Feel free to reach out to us for consulting help with your import/export needs. We work with most modern shopping carts.